The US State Department has approved the sale of equipment, worth $300 million to Iraqi Peshmerga including 4,400 rifles, 113 Humvees and 36 howitzers.
The order was requested by Iraqi Government and will be used to help forces of the Kurdistan Regional Government’s Ministry of Peshmerga as they are also currently fighting ISIS.
THe firms involved with the order include Oshkosh Defense, Colt Corporation, Harris Radio, AM General and Navistar Defense. Although order has been cleared by State, it is yet to be approved by Senate before final contract details can be worked out.
The cleared equipment includes –
- 4,400 M16A4 rifles.
- 46 M2 50-caliber machine guns.
- 186 M240B machine guns.
- 36 M1151 Humvees.
- 77 M1151 up-armored Humvees.
- 12 3-kilowatt Tactical Quiet Generator sets.
- 36 refurbished M119A2 105mm howitzers; spare parts, training and associated equipment related to the mentioned vehicles; and artillery systems.
- A mixed bag of other equipment, including medical and radiological gear, ambulances, and mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicles
Pic Credits – Spc. Lisa Orender